Wednesday, January 3, 2018

A Year in Review 2017


The Year 2017 expired several hours ago, and on this rainy, overcast and gloomy Monday, January 1st, 2018, I find myself alone in my cozy home and in the mood to reflect on the major events and experiences that coloured my world during 2017. My intent is to pull out from the lapsed calendar year the nuggets of value and meaning worth recalling, savouring and sharing with significant others.

The Year 2017, unlike any other, stands out as one of the tremendous accomplishments, personally and collectively. Personally, it has been a year rich in adventures, travel, challenges and celebrations. Contrastingly, the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that hit Mexico City affected my family, yet this natural disaster paled in comparison next to the subsequent loss of an endearing family matriarch.

Collectively, it has been a year of unexpected miracles made real thanks to a loud voice of courage and justice. I am referring to the US President Donald Trump’s declaration of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, a piece of news that resonated around the world in various frequencies and restored justice and hope not only to Israel but to world Jewry and the nations of the world that stand for truth – those who know our historical legacy and are righteous to recognize the stature of Israel in the world as a beacon of light. 

Aside from travelling for duty, mourning, celebration and pleasure, my life in Israel had no shortage of highlights. During 2017 a record number of my Vancouver friends visited Israel, and I had the pleasure to meet them individually and share a unique bond with each. This included Sahava, Dina & Michael, Ofra, Olivia, Evelyn & Steve, Sheila, Gloria & Ben, Alan, Olga (Argentina), Ruthie, Debbie, Cheryl, Alla & Shelley.  I also came across Eadie & Mark, ex-Vancouverite Temple Sholom congregants, who also made Aliyah. Of course, we have much in common and connect regularly. Wow, what a list!
a
With Sahava in the Old Yaffo Port



With Dinah & Michael


With Miriam & Ofra



With Olivia, Evelyn, Steve, Chaya & Raffi
With Gloria & Ben

With Ella & Allan


With Olga 

With Ruthie

On a personal note, I acknowledge that 2017 was a year of more travel and adventure than I ever experienced before. In the spring I visited Los Angeles to celebrate the Bat Mitzvah of Julia, our beautiful second cousin and had the joy to share the occasion with my daughters, Carol and Nadia whom I hadn’t seen for over a year. At this time we had the gift to see our aunt, Tía Sarita, whose life at the time flickered like a flame in the wind.

Julia Hartman (the longest hair) celebrating her Bat Mitzvah
The Three of Us Are So Happy!
With my daughters in Los Angeles

In total disparity, the following visit to Los Angeles in the fall was not to celebrate, but to mourn the monumental loss of our beloved Tía Sarita, RIP.  Her passing truly pierced my heart even though it was her time. I thank G-d for allowing me to travel across oceans to make it on time to the funeral and be able to stand next to my cousins at a time of profound grief. I felt it a holy duty to pay tribute to the woman of great valour who not only greatly impacted my life, but whom I loved deeply. During this sad visit, I always felt reassured of my dutiful presence to mourn with my cousins and was rewarded with the bittersweet feeling of family love, unity and connection.

From Los Angeles, together with my cousin Michelle, we travelled to Mexico City to pay tribute to our Tía Julieta, the last matriarch who after being displaced from her home following the earthquake, she also had to bear the loss of her beloved sister, the last member of her generation. This visit brought me back to my birthplace, the setting of my childhood and adolescence where my destiny was sealed due to the early loss of my mother, a somehow healing journey down memory lane. 

The Three Sisters, Tia Sarita RIP, my mom Leonor RIP and Tia Julieta

Besides doing my best to console and love Tía Julieta, I had the blessing to reunite with my two brothers, Ruben and Marcos, and rekindle our fraternal bond. We visited the cemetery where our family members are laid to rest, and for the first time in decades we stood together before our Mother’s grave, an experience that was truly significant for the three of us.

Contrastingly, this past summer Nadia and I realized a trip across continents, visiting Spain and France. In Spain (Avila), we acted as volunteer English conversationalists for Vaughan Town, an English-immersion program targeting Spanish professionals. Not only did we enjoy the role, but also we fell in love with the Spanish people. 

Thereafter, we joined a tour of Andalucía, starting off in Madrid and travelling south to Cáceres, Córdoba, Sevilla, Ronda, Costa del Sol, Granada and Toledo. Needless to say, the sites we visited left us breathless. In particular, stepping foot in the Jewish Quarters (Juderías) where our ancestors flourished for decades and then suffered the evil decree of the Spanish Inquisition was a deeply moving experience. Lastly, we visited the glamorous Barcelona and got a flavour of its exquisite architecture. In Toulouse, France, we attended Maja’s wedding, a close family friend, and ended our Europe tour climbing La Tour Eiffel to witness the heights of Paris during sundown.






Early in the year, I participated in the Jerusalem portion of the Mussar Israel visit, an experience filled with learning, inspiration and social mingling.  Also in Jerusalem I attended a three-day seminar on teaching strategies for children. 

Mussar Israel Delegation, January 2017

It was wonderful to be able to celebrate my birthday in April while my closest friends, Ofra and Olivia were in town. On my birthday we attended a unique performance at Habima – the Israeli version of Les Miserables; the following Saturday we celebrated at a beachfront restaurant in Rishon L’Tzion. 

   

During Ofra and Olivia’s visit, our dear friends Dvora and Eli Cohen hosted us at their Kibbutz Yavne. Eli gave us a comprehensive tour of the Kibbutz, and later on dedicated us a whole day driving us in his van to Jerusalem and tour-guiding us through several historical sites, ending up in the Old City.  My dear Olivia (Livy) treated me to an unbelievable day trip to Caesarea, Acco, Rosh Hanikra and Haifa.  Rosh Hanikra left me breathless.


Army base in Jerusalem

Rosh Hanikrah

In the Spring I secured part-time employment at the English Center in Ramla (DARCA), first as a teacher substitute and then as permanent staff. I admit that I have prevailed through the challenge of teaching children in Israel, an altogether different game given cultural realities. The truth is that I could not have done this without the guidance of a wonderful team of colleagues who have offered me their friendship and support. I think it important to note that the English Center was strategically placed in Ramla in order to offer equal opportunity to learn English to Jewish, Muslim and Christian children. This model of equality really speaks to my heart, and is proof of the living democracy of Israel. Our teaching team attended two professional development days organized by DARCA. At these workshops we were fed gastronomically as well as intellectually in an Israeli-type of way. I must say I was impressed! I am truly grateful for having had such opportunity to mingle with experienced Israeli teachers who strive to make a difference in the lives of their students. 

English Center Teaching Staff on Teacher's Day in Tel Aviv
Left to right: Osnat, Milene, Violeta, Amit, Missy and Pnina
My second employer, Berlitz, continues to offer me Spanish groups. While I have hesitated to take on more work that is poorly remunerated, I agreed given my passion teaching the Spanish language, as well as the pleasure of meeting interesting people, who, unlike children, are motivated to learn. 

I was elated in June when the Ministry of Education in Israel offered me the job to teach Spanish at a secondary public school in Rehovot. However, after investing countless hours submitting my paperwork, researching curriculum and trying to fill in the information gaps surrounding my assignment, I decided to turn down the offer. I became aware of bureaucratic layers of complexity, ambiguity and lack of accountability at source, such as their inability to confirm a salary, a contract, and offer me the necessary support. After speaking with several individuals who have worked for the Ministry, I came to realize that I was entering some sort of spider web, and was able to pull out before getting myself tangled in it. Still, I remain grateful to the people I spoke to during the information gathering process, and I acknowledge the valuable lessons I learned about public education in Israel, and, of course, about myself.

Still in the realm of work, to earn extra income I translated several documents (English to Spanish), and tutored a handful of Spanish students.   

As for Jewish Holidays, I had the good fortune to celebrate Passover and Mimuna with Ofra and her family. I spent Rosh Hashana with my Vancouver friends Eedie and Mark, who hosted me in their condo overlooking the Mediterranean. We attended a quaint conservative synagogue in Tel Aviv, and admitted to ourselves that we missed services at Temple Sholom. On Yom Kippur I booked myself a room at the Daniel Residence in order to attend services at the Kehilat Daniel of Yaffo. While their Reform service suited my level of observance, the day of Yom Kippur I truly felt alone and lonely during the fast and thereafter, a strong clue that told me that home is where family is.

Mimuna with Ofra's Family


Homegrown pomegrantes


Rosh Hashana with Eedie & Mark

I shared the last night of Hannukah with Ella and her daughter Tara.  We attended an event organized by Nefesh b’Nefesh that included a night tour of the Old City where we admired the many Hannukah menorahs that were lit on windowsills and porches, followed by a wine and cheese reception and lecture. The narrow streets of the Old City were crowded with thousands of people of all ages and backgrounds. There were music performers everywhere and the spirit of the holiday lit the magnificent Old City walls in a way I had never experienced before.






I am deeply grateful for the new friends that crossed my path this past year, including Vilma, a Colombian Spanish teacher from Berlitz, Alberto, another Colombian who besides teaching Spanish is a sales rep for reputable Edi Numen Publishing in Spain, and Ziva, the Argentinian tour guide we met in Madrid. Last but not least, by mere chance I met Maricarmen from Mexico at a small Mexican restaurant in the Carmel Market. Following our first encounter, Maricarmen and I connected at many levels, and in the short time we spent together we shared matters of the heart and a good dose of laughter. Before her departure we spent a day visiting Jerusalem together with her daughter Miriam. Unfortunately, Maricarmen returned to her home in Puebla, Mexico, but I trust that our meaningful connection shall prevail. 

Having fun at Urbanica in Azrielli Center

With Maricarmen and her daughter Miriam in Jerusalem


Having fun at the Carmel Market

During the year, I was fortunate to be invited to three weddings and one berith milah. I consider it a blessing to be able to celebrate milestones like this, especially in Israel.

Ah...I almost forgot.I attended two concerts by the Israel Philarmonic Orchestra, one Turandot, and the second, a spectacular concert featuring the Spanish conductor Pablo Heras Casado, accompanied by Yazmin Levy who delighted the audience with her renditions of Sephardic music.

To conclude on a high note, in early December I made it a point to climb Masada by foot. I was able to do this thanks to my friend Ella, who had coincidentally made plans to visit the Dead Sea. I can assure you that climbing Masada was no walk in the park, but I remained determined to get to the top. My ascent was sweetened by special travel companions, a middle-aged man and his three children, ages 5 to 8, who paused with me every time I lost my breath and gave me emotional support to pace myself and look forward rather than back, upward rather than down. I noticed the youngest boy clutching in his little hand a smooth lime rock. His little sister said the rock gave him strength, and then ran to get me a rock to hold on to. These travel partners who lightened my path, reminded of the angels in disguise that haShem sends us to keep us focused on the path of the ascent.

Travel companions like angels sent by G-d

Sunset in Masada
Climbing Masada

I conclude by stating my sincere gratitude for the road well travelled, for the joys and the sorrows shared, for the challenges and disappointments, for the lessons and achievements, and for the gift of living in Israel, the center of the world of spirituality. I am facing the New Year with faith and hope, praying that I may be able to see my daughters, the light of my eyes, and experience the flow of life together, as well as continue to fulfill our life purpose with the guidance of haShem.

The end.

4 comments:

  1. So amazing Violeta! I am so happy for you. Your writings are beautiful - you should write a book. Bonne et heureuse année, bonne santé et beaucoup de bonheur, pour toi et ta famille. xxx000

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jocelyn my friend, if you come to Israel you know who to call. Thanks for your support always. Many of my friends have encouraged me to write my memoirs, and I thought I would start the book in Israel. Somehow, I am not ready... I hope the sign of readiness comes to me soon.

      Delete
  2. I loved every word! You are a strong woman with a big heart, and I am proud to call you my friend!
    Marla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marla Yekarah, your words mean a lot to me because I love you and respect you. Thanks for supporting me along my journey. Please forgive me if I overlooked something. Did you recently lose a member of your family? I read something but was unable to connect the dots.

      Delete

Closing a Significant Life Chapter

Introduction I have been avoiding writing this, my last blog while still living my dream in the Land of Israel. Human nature is such tha...